Try this delicious, simple and good value Vegan Chickpea Curry Recipe! And if you are cooking for more people, or simply want to batch cook this for lunches, it’s as simple as upping the ingredient quantities, and a few more minutes cooking!
Ingredients (makes 4 servings):
- 100g basmati rice
- 2 medium onions
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ lime
- 1-2 tablespoons of curry paste (Tikka Masala curry paste works well too!)
- 375ml coconut milk (1 can)
- 400g chickpeas (2 cans), drained
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 2 medium tomatoes/handful cherry tomatoes (chopped)
- 50g peas
- Add the rice to 250ml water with a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Keep an eye on the rice – when the water is boiling put a lid on it, reduce the heat to low and cook for another 8-10 mins (or as per packet instructions).
- While this is happening chop the onions, garlic and juice the lime.
- Put the oil and onions into a large pan and cook on a low-medium heat until the onions start to soften and turn clear (about 5 minutes). Add the garlic and chilli for a further 1 minute.
- Add 1 tablespoon of curry paste and the milk, stirring until the curry is dissolved. Add another pinch of salt. Taste test – if you’d like your curry a little stronger then add another tbsp.
- Throw in the chickpeas and soy sauce, and cook on a medium heat for around 5 minutes, bringing the curry to a boil. If it starts to burn, reduce heat immediately.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, chopped basil, lime juice, soy sauce and gently simmer the curry for another 2 minutes. Taste test again, and if desired add a second tablespoon soy sauce. Give it another stir.
- The rice should be done by now too – fork it through to make it fluffy.
- Serve the curry with rice together
Nutritional Information (per serving):
- Calories: 267
- Protein: 6g
- Carbs: 28g
- Fat: 13g