Here at LDNMuscle we always like to experiment and come up with our own variations on exercises. Traps, more so than other muscles, tend to restrict the amount of exercises available. In an attempt to vary our training we have experimented with the prone lying dumbbell shrugs.
Lying Dumbbell Shrugs:
- Take a bench and place on a 15-30 degree incline,
- Take 2 x dumbbells (weight dependent on ability to pick up technique and strength),
- Lie face down on the bench, and position yourself with your shoulders in line with the top of the bench.
- Take hold of both dumbbells and perform a vertical shrug, ensuring you aim for a 1:3 (concentric:eccentric ratio) tempo; in plain English this means spending one second on the upward phase, and 2-3 seconds on the downwards phase!
- Ensure you keep your arms as straight as possible during each rep, resisting the temptation to engage the biceps.
- Repeat 3 sets of this aiming for 6-8 repetitions each set, with a drop set on the final set for good measure!
Don’t forget to check out our individual LDNM Muscle Group Workout Packs to really hammer your weakness areas this year!