Our Simple Beef Stew Recipe is an absolute winner for weekend cooking, entertaining and treating the family to a cracking, warming, filling meal.
Our Low Carb Steak and Ale Pie is also a great choice for a low calorie spin on some Great British cooking!
Ingredients (serves 10):
- 1.5kg boneless beef (cut into small pieces)
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 250ml red wine (optional)
- 500ml stock or broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into one-inch chunks on a diagonal
- 250g baby potatoes (cut into wedges)
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh chopped parsley for serving (optional)
Cooking our Simple Beef Stew Recipe:
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Pat the beef dry and season with the salt and pepper. In a large soup pot, heat tablespoon of the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Brown the meat in 3 batches, turning with tongs, for about 5 minutes per batch; add one tablespoon more oil for each batch.
- Transfer the meat to a large plate and set aside.
- Add the onions, garlic and balsamic vinegar and cook for about 5 minutes stirring and scraping the brown bits from bottom of the pan.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for a minute more.
- Add the beef with its juices back to the pan and sprinkle with the flour. Stir with wooden spoon until the flour is dissolved, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the wine, broth, 500ml water, bay leaf and thyme. Stir with a wooden spoon to loosen any brown bits from the bottom of the pan and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot with a lid, transfer to the preheated oven, and cook for 2 hours.
- Remove the pot from the oven and add the carrots and potatoes. Cover and place back in oven for about 30mins more.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve the stew warm with rice
Nutritional Information (per serving):
- Calories: 320
- Protein: 35g
- Carbs: 10g
- Fats: 13g
Remember to follow us and post your workouts, progress and meals on Instagram, and use the hashtags #LDNMuscle and #LDNM so we can see your lovely creations, repost some and spread the LDNM Community far and wide!