Try this piri-piri chicken salad with homemade pesto to really wow your friends and family with a healthy, low-carb, flavoursome dish!
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons of peri-peri seasoning
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Salad leaves mix of your choice
- Cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 50g mozzarella balls
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- Combine the peri-peri seasoning, olive oil, honey, lemon and salt and pepper and mix well. Pour over the chicken breasts and marinade for at least 10 minutes.
- Place the chicken on the hot pan for 2-3 minutes per side or until the chicken is cooked to your preference.
- Remove from the pan and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- To assemble the salad, place the salad leaves, cherry tomatoes, cucumber and mozzarella balls on a large platter.
- Slice the grilled chicken and place on the salad then dress with pesto (alternatively you can use olive oil, lemon juice instead)
- Serve immediately.
*If you are planning to pack this for lunch, keep the dressing separate and dress just before serving.
Ingredients for Homemade Pesto:
- 3 handfuls of fresh basil
- 1 handful of spinach (optional)
- 1 handful of pine nuts (or walnuts)
- 2 garlic gloves
- Sea salt
- Extra Virgin Olive oil
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Combine ingredients in a food processor.
- Slowly add olive oil as you pulse the food processor on & off. Add enough to keep it moist and spreadable (approx. 3 tablespoons)
- Season with sea salt and lemon or even parmesan to taste.
Nutritional Information (makes 4 servings):
Values per serving (without pesto dressing)
- Calories: 277
- Protein: 39g
- Carbs: 4g
- Fat: 10g