There is no denying it, everyone has cravings for junk foods, it’s human nature. However there are ways of satisfying that craving without inflicting as much caloric damage.
This Quinoa Pizza Base Recipe gives you the ability to eat pizza (some peoples favourite) without the nutritional blow!
- 150g quinoa, soaked for at least 8 hours, rinsed and drained
- 60-120ml water
- 2-3 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, sliced (optional)
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning or herbs of your choice (optional)
- Overnight, or for 6-8 hours, soak 150g of quinoa (so by the time its soaked it should weigh around 300g by the way) in water.
- Once soaked, rinse and drain and add to either a food processor or blender with 100ml water, and any spices like garlic or bay leaf to add taste (this is the crust, so it will add a bit of flavour to it.)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees, and get either a cake tin or large circular pan and cover the base with a bit of extra virgin olive oil (tablespoon or so is fine.)
- Now blend your quinoa, herbs/spices and water till it becomes a smooth, pancake batter-like consistency. Pour onto the pan/tin and spread evenly – feel free to mix half a teaspoon of baking powder as well if you like a thicker crust!
- Put in the oven for 20-30 minutes, or till crispy and golden, then flip onto the other side carefully for a further ten minutes.
- Meanwhile, prep your topping! It’s up to you what you want to put on, I chopped up vegetables and coated chicken pieces in herbs and cooked it in tomato sauce.
- When your pizza crust is cooked, take it out and cover it with your topping – put some kale on the very top and sprinkle pepper over it to make a really nice crunchy kick to your pizza!
- Heat for a further 5-10 minutes to make the kale crispy and ‘fuse’ both topping and crust together. When it’s done, put it on a cooling rack and enjoy!
Calories & Macros (of the Crust only):
- Calories: 860
- Protein: 20g
- Fats: 42g
- Carbs: 103g