The third in a series of recipes brought to you by Team LDNM in conjunction with TheUrbanKitchen.
Great, easy to make recipes, designed to vary your meals, preventing your diet from becoming stagnant and boring. This one is great on the BBQ too- perfect with the Summer upon us!
Swordfish and salmon are full of omega-3 fatty acids and being a meaty fish, it is not overwhelmed by this spicy nutty pesto. Pesto is basically another name for a sauce and this version ensures that you have your daily intake of almonds. If you want a lower fat dish, switch the salmon and swordfish for a meaty white fish.
(serves 6 -8 as a starter and 4 as a main meal)
50g shelled almonds, toasted
6 cloves of garlic, peeled
1 handful of flat-leaf parsley
1 handful of mint leaves
1 handful of coriander leaves
2 tbsp smoked paprika
50ml extra virgin olive oil, extra if needed
Juice and zest of half a lemon
Salt to taste
For Fish Kebabs
800g swordfish and salmon, cut into 2.5cm cubes
1 large red pepper, cut into 2.5cm cubes
Juice of 1 lemon
15ml olive oil
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
½ tsp dried red chilli flakes
- Mix ingredients for fish marinade in shallow dish and add swordfish to marinate. Cover and leave for 30 minutes at room temperature, stirring the fish twice.
- Season the kebabs with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the grill to medium.
- Thread 6 cubes of fish onto soaked wooden skewers interspersed with red pepper cubes.
- Cook the kebabs for 15 minutes, turning them every 3-4 minutes and basting the fish frequently with the marinade.
- Add the first six ingredients for the pesto to a food processor and pulse to form a coarse paste.
- Add the olive oil and lemon juice and zest and pulse until fully combined. If the mixture is too thick, add some olive oil until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Season to taste and serve with the fish kebabs.