Being on low carb macros can limit your food choices, but now you can have you pie and eat it! This LDNM low carb steak and ale pie is easy to prepare, delicious and fits into most individuals macros.
You can currently pick up 500g of braising steak for £3 at Musclefoods, making this meal even cheaper!
Pie Filling (makes 4 servings):
- 25g unsalted butter,
- 3 red onions,
- 2 sprigs rosemary,
- 2 sprigs thyme,
- 2 cloves garlic,
- 500g braising steaks,
- 200g chestnut mushrooms,
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree,
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar,
- 300ml stout or ale,
- 2 cubes beef stock,
- 400ml water.
Macros (per serving):
- Protein: 30g,
- Fat: 11g,
- Carbohydrate: 6g.
Filo pastry (approx. 3g P, 1g F, 20g C)
Cauliflower mash (approx. 4g P, 3g F, 9g C)
- Heat the butter in a large stock pot over a medium heat.
- Roughly chop the onions and crush the garlic and add to the pot with Rosemary and Thyme. Cook for around 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Slice the braising steaks into roughly even strips and add to the pot with the mushrooms and tomato puree.
- Add the water, beer, stock and vinegar before bringing to the boil and reducing the heat to low.
- Season with salt and pepper to your taste. Lea and Perrins also adds to the flavour.
- Continue to cook the filling on a low temperature for around 90 minutes. After this time the sauce should have thickened- if it has not- keep heating or mix a teaspoon (more if necessary, but it will increase your carbs!) of flour to the filling.
- Split the filling evenly between 4 pie tins and cover with a crust of either filo pasty (3g P, 1g F, 20g C) or cauliflower mash (1g P, 3g F, 5g C).
- Bake in the oven at 180 degrees for 10-25 minutes, or until the crust is golden.
- Serve in the pie tin with green vegetables and home-made chips (if your macros allow!).