Huevos Rancheros (translated as ‘ranchers eggs’) is typically a breakfast served in the more rural parts of Mexico. Our high protein twist is great any time of the day!
Macros in the entire batch:
- 1543 kcal
- 168g Protein
- 58g Fats
- 80g Carbs
- 400g chicken breast
- 4 large eggs
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 2-3 fresh chilies
- 50g chorizo
- 1 large onion
- 1 red pepper
- Fresh corriander
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin reduced salt & sugar beans
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 40g mature cheddar
- Salt, pepper, paprika and hot sauce to taste
You will need a large casserole dish for this meal.
- Place the casserole dish on a medium/high heat on the hob and add a little olive oil.
- Cut the chicken into approx. 1cm width strips (season with paprika if you like) and add to the casserole dish, fry until the outside begins to brown- then reduce to a medium heat, cover and continue to cook for another 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and place in a large bowl and using two forks shred the chicken into small pieces.
- Chop the onions, garlic, peppers, chorizo and chilies; add a little more oil to the casserole dish and turn to a medium high heat again.
- Add the onion and garlic, fry until golden before adding the chilies, chorizo and peppers- continue to fry until the peppers soften.
- Reduce the heat and add the coriander, tomatoes, beans and tomato puree- add salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste- stir until consistent throughout.
- Place the lid on the casserole dish and- USING OVEN GLOVES- place the dish in the oven at 180 degree Celsius for 20 minutes.
- Remove the dish from the oven and remove the lid- USING OVEN GLOVES- before cracking the eggs on top and sprinkling the cheese evenly.
- Cover the dish and cook in the oven for another 3-5 minutes depending on how you like your eggs.
- Serve by itself or with rice/bread/tortillas if your macros allow!
Tweet us your verdict and best incarnations!