Getting older is often associated with becoming wiser and more responsible. On the other hand, it also comes with its challenges such as a slow metabolism. This is more common with women who are over 40. A slow metabolism gives rise to challenges such as a steady weight gain, a bigger belly and loss of healthy muscle mass. The tips below will help you learn how to increase your metabolism after 40.
One of the most important things that you will need to change is your diet. Below are recommendations which will help you increase metabolism.
1. Increase your intake of protein while reducing your carbohydrate intake.
2. Avoid white sugar and flour. Instead, eat more complex carbohydrates such as fruits and vegetables throughout the day.
3. Make sure your breakfast is rich in proteins. This will help you feel less hungry all through the day. It will also help you burn more calories.
4. Add a little bit of apple cider vinegar to your tea. Additionally drink plenty of cold water. Drinking these throughout the day will increase your metabolism by up to 10% one hour after you drink them.
For you to attain the maximum increase in metabolism, you need to combine a healthy diet with exercise. Exercise is crucial in both increasing metabolism and losing weight. Below are some recommendations:
1. Do some weight lifting three or four times a week. This increases muscle mass in turn increasing your metabolic rate. Muscle burns calories more than fat.
2. Jog or run 3 to 4 times a week.
3. Do aerobics after your workout to increase your post-workout metabolism.
4. Do some yoga to increase your RMR (resting metabolic rate).
5. As you build up to more intense exercise, you can start by increasing your level of activity. This means doing things such as taking the stairs instead of the elevator or walking instead of driving for short distances.
Below are some supplements which are great for increasing metabolic rate after the age of 40:
1. Green tea supplements – These can be available at most health food stores.
2. Leucine amino acids – These are great for calming hunger, getting rid of cravings and increasing your muscle mass.
3. Kelp supplements – Kelp will help in both increasing your thyroid performance as well as your metabolism.
4. Omega-3 fatty acids – These need to be taken daily to help you increase your metabolism after 40.
Make sure you see the doctor before joining any weight loss or exercise program. This will help you get tips which apply to your specific situation.
Avoid supplements which contain Ephedra. There are some concerns about the health effects of using Ephedra for weight loss. It was banned from use in the USA in 2003 by the FDA. The National Football League, Olympic Committee and National Collegiate Athletic Association also banned the use of Ephedra.
Have a thyroid checkup. Suffering from hypothyroidism automatically decreases your metabolism. In case you suffer from it, you will have to take hypothyroidism medication in addition to the above measures. The doctor will also give you additional nutritional tips that will work best in your situation.
To maximize metabolic rate, eat every two to three hours.
Get enough sleep. It is recommended that the average adult should sleep for at least 7 hours every day.
These measures should not be stopped when you start seeing some results. Let them become habits that you always do so that you are able to achieve and maintain your optimal metabolic rate.