Welcome to another edition of LDNM # FreeWorkoutFriday
On the menu this week is traps with a side of calves! So let’s get to it:
5-10 minutes cross-trainer
Upper-body dynamic stretching.
Main set: (Perform a reduced weight set prior to each exercise- do not count as a working set).
4 x 6-10 reps of prone, lying dumbbell shrugs to failure:
- Employ a 1-1-3-0 tempo.
- Keep arms straight and initiate the movement with your traps; aiming for a full stretch and quality contraction with each rep.
- 75-90 seconds rest between sets.
3 x ‘The Trap Chain’ standing dumbbell shrugs (6-12-25):
- Complete two drops in weight, going to failure each time.
- No rest between drops.
- 90 seconds rest between sets.
3 x 12-15 reps of prone lying dumbbell Y-raises:
- Employ a 1-1-2-0 tempo.
- Select 5kg dumbbells or less for this move- no really do!
- 60 seconds rest between sets.
5 x 5-6 reps of straight leg calf-extensions (rest-pause) to failure:
- Employ a X-1-2-0 tempo here (we’re going heavy).
- After hitting failure, rest for 20 seconds before completing more reps to failure, before resting for a further 30 seconds and squeezing out any more possible reps!
- 120 seconds rest between rest-pause sets.
10 x 30 second treadmill pushes cardio:
- 30 seconds rest between sets- belt can be static here.
- Don’t say it isn’t working your calves till set 10!
Straight leg calf extension centurion (same machine as used for heavy-light sets):
- Select a weight around 30% of that used for the heavy-light work.
- Complete 100 consecutive reps, taking a rest of 10-15 seconds if necessary.
- You do not have to be too strict on tempo here, just ensure full range and control of the weight.
There you have it- a weird and wonderful workout that’s great for a rest day where you can’t sit still, or for a sunny Friday like today!
As always feel free to tweet your feedback, abuse and neck pumps to @LDN_Muscle and @MB_LDNM.