Try this caprese chicken recipe, ideal for dinner or for meal prep; low in carbs and high protein.
Ingredients (makes 2 servings):
- 2 chicken breasts (halved lengthwise)
- 1 garlic clove (crushed)
- 1/2 teaspoon of basil
- 1/2 teaspoon of oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon of olive oil
- 125g fresh mozzarella (cut into 8 slices)
- 4 avocado slices 2 medium vine ripened tomatoes (sliced)
- 3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- Handful of fresh basil (chopped)
- In a bowl mix together garlic, basil, oregano, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.
- Sprinkle mixture evenly over both sides of each chicken cutlet. Heat olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and cook until golden brown on bottom, about 4 – 6 minutes.
- Rotate and cook opposite side until chicken has nearly cooked though, about 4 – 5 minutes
- Add two slices of mozzarella to the top each cutlet, followed by one avocado slice, and 1 – 2 tomato slices. Cover pan with lid, return to heat and allow to cook 1 – 2 minutes longer until cheese has melted.
- Sprinkle chicken with pepper, drizzle with balsamic glaze and sprinkle with fresh basil. Serve warm.
Nutritional Information (serves 2):
- 464 calories
- 44g protein
- 4g carbs
- 28g fat