A fantastic festive dish, perfect for dividing up as nibbles or canapes when entertaining or as a starter; Beef & Sun Dried Tomato Scotch Egg from award-winning chef Geo Bassani Lima
- 200g minced beef
- 30g sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4x red onion
- 2x tbsp of Dijon mustard
- 1x tbsp of mayonnaise
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 2x eggs
- Pinch salt
- Splash of Tabasco
- Splash of Worcestershire sauce
- 500ml vegetable oil
- Handful of rocket
- Balsamic syrup (optional)
- Start by boiling 1L of water. When it reaches the boiling point, add 1 egg to the water. Time 6 minutes for a soft boiled egg or 8 minutes if you want a hard-boiled egg. After, remove from the boiling water and place under running cold water, so the egg stops cooking.
- Finely chop 1/4 of a red onion and transfer to a bowl and add the minced beef, sundried tomatoes, Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce, 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard and the salt.
- Using your hands, combine the ingredients together.
- Peel the egg and set aside.
- Place the meat mix on a clean surface and flatten it down, so there is enough meat to cover the egg.
- After, place the peeled egg in the centre of the mixture and using the tip of your fingers, start covering the egg with the meat.
- Meanwhile, whisk the other egg in a wide/shallow enough bowl to coat the scotch egg mix and in a separate bowl, place the breadcrumbs that you be coating the scotch egg.
- First of all, place the egg mixture in the bowl where the whisked egg is. After, transfer to the breadcrumbs bowl. Repeat this process twice.
- Add 500ml of vegetable oil to a pot and heat until starts to boil.
- Add the scotch egg to the boiling oil for 8 minutes.
- Combine 1 spoon of Dijon mustard with 1 spoon of mayonnaise to serve with the egg.
- Garnish with rocket salad and balsamic syrup.
This festive dish is quite calorie dense, but as it is Christmas and a sharing platter we would advise not worrying about the calories and macros! If you do want to know the total calories simple bang all the ingredients into the MyFitnessPal app.