Try this high protein Bean Burgers Recipe.
Ingredients (makes 6 servings):
- 500g kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
- 300g cannelloni beans
- 1 onion (roughly chopped)
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons of chilli powder
- Handful of fresh coriander (stalks and leaves chopped)
- 1 egg
- 200g fresh salsa
- 150ml low-fat natural yogurt
- Juice 1/2 lime
- 6 burger buns
- Vegetables of your choice (optional)
- Heat grill to high. Tip the beans into a large bowl, then roughly crush with a potato masher.
- Add the breadcrumbs, chopped onion, chilli powder, coriander stalks and ½ the leaves, egg and 2 tablespoons of salsa, season to taste, then mix together well with a fork.
- Divide the mixture into 6, then wet your hands and shape into burgers (the burgers can now be frozen and used later).
- Place on a non-stick baking tray, then grill for 4-5 mins on each side until golden and crisp (to cook from frozen, bake at 200C for 20-30 mins until hot through)
- While the burgers are cooking, mix the remaining coriander leaves with the yogurt, lime juice and a good grind of black pepper.
- Burgers can be eaten on its own or in buns with vegetables.
Nutritional Information (per serving):
- Calories: 195
- Protein: 11g
- Carbs: 33g
- Fat: 3g