Get practicing for the perfect Xmas dinner with our festive & delicious Bacon Topped Turkey Recipe!
Ingredients (serves 13):
- 1 whole turkey (approx. 5kg)
- Kitchen twine (to tie Turkey)
- Aluminium foil
- 250g butter (softened)
- 30g fresh sage
- 250g bacon (uncooked)
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic clove
- Salt and black pepper (to taste)
- Pre-heat oven to 160C
- Remove giblets and neck from Turkey. Rinse turkey with cold running water and drain well. Blot dry with paper towels.
- Chop Onion and Garlic and mix together. Once chopped and mixed, stuff the Onion and Garlic mixture into Turkey.
- Tie up the Turkey’s wings, legs, and drumsticks with Kitchen Twine as desired.
- Chop Sage and mix in with softened Butter.
- Rub Sage/Butter mixture under the skin and over the skin of the Turkey.
- Salt and pepper Turkey to taste.
- Place uncooked, Bacon slices all over the skin of the uncooked Turkey. They will stick onto the buttered Turkey.
- Insert an Oven-Safe Meat Thermometer into the inner thigh area near the breast of the Turkey but not touching the bone.
- Place Turkey in a roasting pan and use foil to tent the uncooked Turkey.
- Remove foil tent for last hour of cooking Turkey.
- Continue to let bacon cook on Turkey for an additional 15 minutes, then remove.
- Remove Turkey from oven once at least 70 degrees is reached internally in the Turkey.
- Allow Turkey to rest for 20-30 minutes, then carve (during the rest period, Turkey will continue to cook).
Nutritional Information (serves 13):
- Calories: 94
- Protein: 8g
- Carbs: 1g
- Fat: 6g